THE ROGUE READER

OUTLANDISH DISCOVERIES OF A BOOK REVIEWER
Note: I don't get paid or make any money of this site!
Just sharing a laugh as I find funny stuff while reading tons of books for a real book review blog.



Monday, February 8, 2010

The Fledging of Az Gabrielson by Jay Amory

As reviewers we pretend, based on our experience, education, and intelligence, that we can actually determine whether a book will be popular with Tweens. But ultimately, we are not in that foggy, unsure, adolescent hormone ridden mindset –unless we are actually a tween age reviewer. Which leads to reviewing complications due to age.

The book I read for this review presents just such a problem. When asked to buy into a post-apocalyptic world full of people that have evolved wings because they live above the permanent cloud layer, I am thrilled. But when I find out that below the cloud layer there are normal people who live in near darkness, but run through forests and fields, I hit a wall. There can’t be trees and forests without sunlight!! Everything would be dead!!!! A tween reader might find themselves able to image this fictional world with ease and not hit this same educational based roadblock, but not me. Infact I wanted to stop reading the book and was quite huffy about the whole thing.

The main character Az (short for Azriel) is a wingless boy in a world of winged people. Though he has a loving and supportive family, he does feel handicapped and different. The lives of his people are supported mostly in part by supplies that arrive mysteriously by elevator from the world beneath the cloud layer. Turns out those ‘Groundlings’ have been filling those elevators for religious fear-based reasons, and were now rebelling. Az is sent down, being better suited to blend in, to find out more information. The ensuing debacle introduces a romantic interest, an evil rebellion leader, and non-stop action sequences.

Beyond my educationally induced glass wall against bonding with this book, there was another factor that did not endear me. This author uses the world Chortle! I couldn’t believe it! The only thing I can think of is that these writers must be reading each others books and picking up the same language patterns. I refuse to accept that tweens and teens chortle. Or I guess it might be just a neurotic personal flaw. I have a favorite author who I think over-uses the phrase ‘beat a hasty retreat’. I have taken to scratching it out with pen in all of her books that I own. Sadly I know what is under the pen marks and still think it in my head as I am reading it. (Arg, it sucks being weird!)

For Tweens?
This book is a fine example of teenage angst, feeling different, overcoming disabilities, being brave, taking chances, family loyalty and doing what is right. It is fast paced, action filled, and an interesting concept. Although you couldn’t pay me to read it again, but I still think that Tweens will like it a lot!

Final Word:


Its makes for a distracting read when the main characters name Azreal is constantly reminding you about a certain cat who craves Smurfs for dinner! Won't be a problem for Tweens, having not grown up with this cartoon -yet another age related complication!


Amory, J. (2008). The Fledging of Az Gabrielson (The Clouded World Book1). London: Gollancz. ISBN#0575079800